Search This Blog

Friday, August 4, 2023

Martial Arts and the Aging Warrior



 How Does Our Training Change As We Age?

    As martial artists start to age, or maybe they pick up martial arts late and he or she is contending with the aging process already, it is important to remember that the practice of martial arts, the way of the warrior, is a large part very athletic. For those that practice something more traditional than MMA, there is a philosophical and artistic side to it that can be emphasized more as age catches up with us, but that is almost like cheating ourselves out of what we can do with our art.
    I have been doing martial arts and sports in general my whole life. Martial arts started while I was 18, sports started in elementary school. So, being active is just in my nature. When I was 18, I had this amazingly young and athletic physicality about myself that made martial arts just another athletic endeavor for me at that time. Over the 30+ years I have trained and practiced, I have felt the differences in my body as I go through what I have learned in Kenpo. Now being 52, I have had to seriously re-evaluate my position on how I train. My body is different now. Which, is obvious. 18 and 52 are two very different ages. But how I operate and function is just different. I am definitely trying to reconcile the changes with the training I want to do now. It is a process.
    Fortunately, I have a background in athletics and fitness that has not quit for my whole life. Sports is just part of who I am. I even reinforced it by getting certified as a personal trainer. Now, I look at training as a wholistic, multi-layered process that does not end - it just evolves. 

Warriors and Training

    From ancient times, warriors have been inherently athletic because they were called upon to do incredible physical tasks that warriors have been trained to do since time immemorial. We are athletes. Pure and simple. How we choose train ourselves is our decision, and we come in all shapes and sizes, and the methods may differ, but we are athletes and we should not look at ourselves otherwise. Now, can martial arts be accommodating to anyone who may have some limitations or physical differences? Yes. Absolutely. Part of this journey is finding our best selves and meeting the challenges in front of us. but that does not mean we should train to anything less than our full potential. Therefore the athlete behind every martial artist should be realized.
    This is where the idea of adjusting and accommodating training for the aging process comes in. It is pretty common knowledge, you can't stop training in martial arts and expect to keep your skills. It is necessary to practice all that you learn and know, as well as teach and expand on that knowledge. It is a physical and mental process that requires rigorous time and study. There is no substitute. 
    Unfortunately, in the martial arts world, I often see aging martial artists continue to practice while their physical ability slips away with time and age. Everyone has a choice and I am not in a position to criticize anyone's choices. We all have our own paths to walk, for sure. But for me, what I have learned, is that I have had to employ a larger range of tools in trying to stay "fighting fit". Often times I have to battle nagging injuries that prevent me from doing what I physically want to do. This is where each of our unique training requirements start to really come into play. Everyone of us needs to try to understand what it takes to stand and be effective at the end of the day of training.
    Our training must become as unique as our expression of the Kenpo principles. We all have our own expression of how we do martial arts and how we move. Our training must start to reflect that uniqueness more as we age. It is part of the reason why I have tried to branch off into personal training, as well as martial arts. Sports today have become highly specialized in their training based on the types of moves that they do. Martial arts is no different in that respect. We have specific needs that need to be addressed when combined with specific physical requirements.

Things to Remember

    There are some key points to think about when training in martial arts. I will go over what I think are some of the important things to consider from a personal fitness and training aspect.

1. Mobility

When I was a college athlete we talked some about mobility, but nowhere near what is discussed today. Martial arts was kind of ahead of the times because mobility was considered key the practice. However, the depth and range of mobility exercises out today for athletes to use and consider is mind-boggling. Also, because martial arts can be hard on the joints, it is even more critical to practice mobility exercises to stay injury free. In addition to the fact that as we age we need additional mobility work, a good mobility program is absolutely essential in order to be an effective martial artist.

2. Strength Training

There are a lot of options for this. Each person is going to be unique in what they desire. There are TONS of options. If you want to do something more sport or art specific, programs can be built. If you want to cross train and go more in terms of weights and plyometrics, that can be done too, you would just need more time. If you want a hybrid, there are many choices. It would be best to seek out a martial artist who is also a personal trainer. They will have the most complete skill set to help design a program that can increase the strength related to martial arts practice. 

3 Cardio Training

It is not necessary to really go outside of the art if you do not want to cross-train. I, myself, like to cross-train, so I look for opportunities to do cardio outside of my martial arts practice. There are huge benefits if that is the route you choose. You are more efficient if you choose to do cardio that is sport specific. However, the cardio training that you need to do as you age needs to be monitored carefully and with consideration. As we age, our maximum heart rate level comes down. I have come up to the edge of my limits and not realized it. Wearing a smart watch with health functions helps a lot. It can monitor heart rate, calories burned, and other metrics that can assist with training. Work with a trainer to determine what is the best method to up your cardio training.

4. Injuries Are More Common As We Age

Aging brings about a predisposition to injury. This is one of the main reasons we have to be more mindful of our training. Do not take for granted your health. Take every precaution and work with your trainer or coach or instructor to avoid injuries, because if you are injured you really cannot train. It is a battle, every day. If you do things right, you can still train a lot, but just be aware of what is needed to stay healthy.

5. You Are What You Eat

Food is very important. We are what we eat. Therefore, the nutritious food is really important when we are older. Our bodies cannot recover from junk food like when we were kids. Nutrient dense food is key. I have another blog where I go more into fitness in nutrition. If that is something you are looking for, you can find it here. 


    So, I could go on and on about this subject, but the reality is that as we age, we need to adapt our training. There are many things to consider, and many options to use to adapt with time. The potential for obstacles multiplies as we age, so we must keep up with that by trying to stay one step ahead, if possible. Don't become a victim of aging. Don't let your training suffer because you are changing. Take the steps to adapt your training and lifestyle and continue to be the complete warrior that you want to be. This is what I have dedicated myself to now, as an aging martial artist. Trying to help others train as they progress in age and in life, wherever they may be at in their journey. I enjoy the challenge of doing innovative training. If you have questions about what I have experienced, or want ideas to explore in your training, email me. I am happy to discuss what I know. 

Continue to train hard!!

**Photo: Model: Jesse Brown, Photographer: Gina Navarro-Brown, Editor: Jesse Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment